These Skillet Chicken Tacos are so simple to make. Marinated chicken tenders are cooked in a skillet then topped with a delicious coleslaw and cumin sour cream. Absolutely delicious!
Happy Labor Day (ugh, I can’t even believe I’m saying that!). Let’s hope you’re all doing something exciting, relaxing and/or fun-filled today. I’m honestly not sure what we’re doing, hopefully we’ll figure something out.
Today I’m sharing one of our newest favorite dinners, Skillet Chicken Tacos. Holy moly are they ever delicious and so simple to throw together.
My boys go through Ranch dressing like it’s water, they dip everything in it! They also absolutely LOVE tacos, so when I found this recipe I knew they’d go bonkers. Chicken tacos involving ranch dressing are bound to be a winner with my boys.The chicken tenders are marinated up to 24 hours in ranch dressing and then cooked on your stovetop. Throw one into a taco shell and top it with a yummy coleslaw and cumin sour cream. . . . .soooo good!
You might be thinking the whole coleslaw thing is weird, but trust me it’s not. We absolutely love coleslaw on our pulled pork sandwiches (if you haven’t tried it you must!), so I had no doubts about putting it on these tacos. It adds crunch and flavor and is definitely a must with these tacos.Remember the chicken does need to marinate at least 4 hours and overnight is even better so make sure you plan ahead.
Light, healthy and packed with fresh flavor, these tacos are definitely a winner!Print
- 3/4 cup buttermilk ranch dressing
- 12 chicken tenderloins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Lime juice
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 to 5 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Cumin Sour Cream:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Flour or corn tortillas
- avocado slices
- lime wedges
- Cumin Sour Cream
- Extra cilantro
- Grated cheese
- Place ranch dressing in a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag, turning to combine. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. (I recommend overnight).
- Preheat oven to 200°. In a 12-inch cast-iron grill pan (or any skillet pan will work), heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a baking sheet, and place in preheated oven to keep warm until you’ve cooked all the tenderloins and are ready to serve them.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, vinegar, and salt. In a large bowl combine coleslaw mix, jalapeño, and cilantro. Add dressing; toss to combine.
Cumin Sour Cream:
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until combined.
- Place a chicken tender on a tortilla and top with coleslaw mix, cumin sour cream and other desired toppings.
You may or may not use all the coleslaw mix, depending how how “wet or dry” you want your coleslaw. I would start out with less and mix in the dressing and then see if you want to add more cabbage or not.
I love to buy the prepackaged coleslaw rather than buy cabbage and have to slice it myself. It’s definitely much faster and easier to buy it in the package.
You most likely will not use all the coleslaw on top of the tacos, but we just ate the extra as a side dish.
I recommend marinating the chicken tenders overnight. It makes them even better and more tender.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW IF YOU GIVE THIS A TRY! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK. SHARE IT ON INSTAGRAM USING THE HASHTAG #5BOYSBAKER SO I CAN SEE WHAT YOU’RE MAKING IN YOUR KITCHEN.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Southern Cast Iron Magazine Spring 2016