A super delicious and quick alternative to lasagna. So, so yummy and on the table in 30 minutes. Doesn’t get much easier!
- 1 can( 28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- Salt and pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound ground beef and/or Italian sausage
- 10 curly-edged lasagna noodles broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus 2 Tbsp, grated
- 8 ounces (1 cup) ricotta cheese or 7-8 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Place tomatoes in 4-cup liquid measuring cup. Add water until mixture measures 4 cups.
- Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add meat and cook, breaking up meat into small pieces, until it is no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Scatter pasta over meat but do not stir. Pour tomato mixture and tomato sauce over pasta, cover, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Dollop heaping tablespoons of ricotta over top, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- You can use all ground beef or all Italian sausage in this skillet lasagna or do a mixture of half and half which is what I did and it was fabulous.
- The lasagna noodles do not break “perfectly” into 2-inch pieces so just do the best you can and don’t worry if they are all different sizes. I actually ended up cutting a few of my noodles into smaller pieces once they had simmered and had become soft.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes