It’s sloppy joe meets grilled cheese and it’s a match made in heaven! These Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are just plain ridiculous! You’re going to be hooked after one bite!
Life is so crazy at our house right now with baseball which explains the no post on Wednesday, sorry. I had good intentions, but it just didn’t happen. On top of games every night, I am the league secretary and I do all the shopping for our snack shacks. So right now the baseball field and Sam’s Club are where I seem to be spending waaay too much time.
Dinner time for us is 4:00 right now. I know, kind of early, but it’s that or eat hot dogs at the baseball game every night. As much as I love a good grilled hot dog, eating boiled ones from the snack shack, five nights a week, just doesn’t sound all that fun.
I’m all over quick and easy meals right now and these Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are exactly that. I actually posted these about three years ago, but these amazing sandwiches have possibly gotten lost amidst all the other recipes and they definitely deserve a repost with some updated pictures. They are oldies, but goodies for sure!
I forgot how ridiculously delicious these babies are. Apparently so did my boys based on the words coming out of their mouths as they were inhaling these sandwiches and licking their fingers (they are kind of messy you know, hence the name “sloppy grilled cheese). Taylor informed me that these are probably his one of his favorite “quick meals” that I make. They really are pretty fabulous and kind of hard to stop eating.
Just promise me that you will use Texas Toast bread for these (or the really thick cut loaf of French Bread that Costco sells works great too). The bread takes these sandwiches to a whole new level. You really, really need these sandwiches in your life.Print
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard ((depending on your tastebuds))
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 10–12 slices Texas toast bread
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 3 – 4 cups shredded cheese ((or more if you need it))
- Brown ground beef with onion in skillet until fully cooked. Drain off any grease.
- Add mustard, ketchup and brown sugar and Worcestershire . Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- To assemble sandwiches, place one slice of bread, butter side down onto griddle or skillet. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, a scoop of the beef mixture, and top with some more shredded cheese. Place a piece of bread on top, butter side up. Cook over medium heat until browned, carefully flip over and cook other side until browned.