This Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole is loaded with hash browns, bacon, ham, green peppers, eggs and cheese. It’s completely delicious and totally satisfying. It might just be the best breakfast casserole you’ve ever eaten.
If you’re looking for a fabulous, delicious new breakfast casserole to add to your recipe file, then this Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole is going to become your new BFF.
Loaded with hash browns, cheese, peppers, bacon and ham. . . it’s total comfort food, which we all could use. It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch or dinner and if there is any left, fill up a flour tortilla with it and make yourself a breakfast burrito. . . scrumptious!
This weekend is Easter and General Conference and I’m just sayin’ that this Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole would be the perfect thing to make either Saturday or Sunday morning.
LINEUP OF INGREDIENTS. . .
- HASH BROWNS: Shredded hash browns work best in this recipe. I love to use the Simply Potato Southwestern Hash Browns. They add such a good flavor, but you can use regular if you like. See the notes in the recipe card.
- MEAT: Ham and bacon are the stars of the show here. You can certainly switch it up and use sausage if you like, but the ham and bacon are spot on!
- CHEESE: I use Colby Jack for this, but cheddar or sharp cheddar will be just as delicious, or use any kind of cheese you’d like.
- EGGS: I use large eggs for this. If you have medium, you might want to add an extra couple eggs to the mixture.
- MILK: I use 2% or whole, but use what you have on hand.
A FEW TIPS FOR MAKING THIS CASSEROLE:
- If you want a shortcut for the bacon, you can use the precooked, crumbled bacon from Costco. When I do this, I will measure out 1 1/2 to 2 cups and spread it evenly on a plate. Then I microwave it for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. This helps crisp it back up before you layer it in the casserole. (*This step isn’t necessary, but I just like doing it.)
- Don’t use pre-grated cheese. Pre-grated cheese contains preservatives that keep the shreds from clumping together in the bag. This prevents it from melting together as well as freshly grated cheese melts. Freshly grated cheese will melt much smoother and taste better.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH THIS?
This Breakfast Casserole is pretty much a meal by itself! You can eat it as it or top if with fresh toppings like avocado, sour cream, salsa, or hot sauce, etc. You can also serve it with fresh fruit, toast, bagels, cinnamon rolls, english muffins or even a simple green salad.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LOVE:Print
- 1 pkg. (32 oz) frozen, shredded hash browns (see notes)
- 2 cups ham, chopped or cubed
- 3/4 to 1 lb bacon, cooked crisp & chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups grated Colby jack cheese
- 12 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place 1/2 of the hash browns in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with half of the ham, bacon, pepper and then cheese. Repeat layer one more time, ending with cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over the layers in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours on high or for 4 to 5 hours on low (see note) or until casserole is set and eggs are thoroughly cooked.
- I like to use the Simply Potatoes Brand Southwest Style Shredded hash browns for this. It’s a 20 oz package, so I will either use 1 1/2 packages or 1 full package and about half a bag of regular shredded hash browns.
- Depending on your slow cooker, this may take less time than listed. Make sure you check the center with a knife to test for doneness.