Have I ever mentioned how much I love my slow cooker and how I use it year-round? I’m pretty sure I have, but just in case I haven’t I’m telling you now. Some days it is my saving grace . . .whether it’s because it’s 90+ degrees outside or I’m going to be gone all day and want something ready for dinner when I get home.
This Slow Cooker Brown Sugar & Garlic Chicken became a fan favorite the other night at our house. It’s sweet, slightly tangy and has just a slight, slight kick. We couldn’t stop eating this! I had to hold my boys back so I could try and snap a few pictures. And after I snuck in a few quick photos, I had to keep reminding them that I still hadn’t eaten and neither had their dad. I wish they’d eat that good every night!
School has either started up for some of you or will be starting this week (ugh!) and this is a perfect meal to throw in your crockpot once you send your kiddos out the door. They will love you forever for fixing this, and hey, they might even forget about how unhappy they are school is back in session!Print
This chicken is so delicious! Sweet and slightly tangy it’s perfect served over rice, noodles or even a baked potato. We loved it!
- 4–6 chicken breasts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon-lime soda
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce ((optional))
- 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. Brown sugar
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken (frozen, thawed or fresh) inside slow cooker.
- Mix together brown sugar, vinegar, soda, garlic, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce and pepper together. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Take chicken pieces out of slow cooker and shred. Pour remaining sauce into saucepan and place saucepan over high heat. Mix together corn starch and water, pour into saucepan, add the 2 tablespoons brown sugar and mix well. Let sauce come to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken and turns into a glaze.
- Return chicken to crockpot and pour sauce over. Stir until chicken is all coated. Serve over rice.
The Sweet Chili Sauce is optional, but gives this a slight kick, I already had some in my fridge, so if you don’t already have some and don’t want to buy it because you’ll probably never use it again, just sprinkle the top with a few red pepper flakes to give it a little kick.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Just a Pinch
I linked up at Buns in My Oven