These Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Tacos are crazy delicious and so simple to make. Perfect for any weeknight meal and will be loved by even your pickiest eaters. Seriously one of the easiest dinners you’ll ever make.
Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great weekend and enjoyed time with all the amazing men in your life. Hopefully you enjoyed lots of delicious food as well.
You all know how much I love my slow cooker, but it’s these hot summer months when I love it even more than ever. You know, those days when it’s hot enough outside that the thought of turning on your oven and heating up your kitchen makes you want to cry.
These Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Tacos were a huge hit the other night. Parker told me they were an 8 out of 10. His reason they were only an 8 was because the cotton candy grapes we ate with these, were a 10.
We all love tacos and these were honestly some of the yummiest tacos ever to come out of my slow cooker. Set out your favorite toppings and then let everyone go crazy, or not so crazy with toppings.
I love beans so I use like to use two cans, but if you’d rather have less, stick with one can of beans. Either store bought or homemade salsa work perfectly, just use whatever you love. I making these with my homemade salsa or Trader Joes Salsa Authentica.
I love to keep the toppings simple for these tacos. . . guacamole, shredded cheese and a little chopped green onion. But feel free to top these tacos with anything you’d like . . .more salsa, diced tomatoes, olives, cilantro, sour cream, etc.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CHILI TACOS:
- Place chicken into your slow cooker, season with salt and pepper and cover with water.
- Cook on high 3 to 4 hours or low 5-6 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred. Empty the water and return chicken to your slow cooker.
- Add smoked paprika, chili beans, Rotel tomatoes and salsa. Cook for 30 to 40 more minutes on low to heat through.
- Serve on warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.
CAN I FREEZE THIS?
Yes! If you happen to have any leftovers or want to make a double batch, it freezes perfectly for even quicker meals during the week. Just put it in a sealed container with a layer of plastic wrap pressed up against it before putting the lid on. You can also put it in a Ziploc freezer bag (make sure you get all the air out before you seal it up.). Thaw it in the fridge overnight or several hours in the fridge. To heat it up, either put it back in your slow cooker on low just until heated through, or put it in a large skillet/pan and heat it on low on the stovetop (I would keep it covered to keep any moisture in). This chicken filling would also be delicious used in burritos, quesadillas, nachos, or salads.
Taco night just got easier my friends! I promise you dinners don’t get much easier than this.
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 4 breasts)
- Salt & pepper
- Water (or can use chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 to 2 cans (15 oz) chili beans, undrained
- 1 (can 10 oz) Rotel tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup of salsa
- Tortilla shells (flour or corn)
- Grated Cheese
- Green Onions
- Sour Cream
- Put your chicken breasts in your slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Add enough water to cover the chicken. Put lid on and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours on low or on high for 3 to 4, or until chicken is tender and shreds easily.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Empty the water out and place shredded chicken back in your slow cooker.
- Add in the smoked paprika, chili beans, Rotel tomatoes and salsa. Cover and continue to cook on low for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve on tortilla shells topped with your favorite toppings.
- Category: Main Dishes
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Mix & Match Mama