This Slow Cooker Chicken Chili is comforting and so delicious! Loaded with chicken, great northern beans and spices along with salsa verde and diced tomatoes with chiles to add incredible flavor! This one is sure to go on repeat during the chili wintry months.
I love a good slow cooker recipe. Especially the kind that are one pot wonders with no searing and no fuss. The kind where you simply throw everything right in, turn it on and walk away.
No extra steps and nothing complicated. Who doesn’t love a recipe where you simply add the ingredients to your slow cooker, turn it on and then come back after a long day at work or wherever to an ultra-cozy bowl of deliciousness?
I can’t decided if I love this Slow Cooker Chicken Chili because of its simplicity or because it’s delicious, comforting and hits the spot every single time.
Honestly, it’s probably both and I can almost guarantee you’re going to love this chili too.
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Chili:
- Add the salsa verde, tomatoes, beans, broth, onion, oregano, pepper, salt, cumin and garlic powder to your slow cooker.
- Add the chicken breasts.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove chicken to a plate and shred, then return to your slow cooker.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
Freezing this chili:
Once the chili has cooled completely, place it in a Tupperware container or a Ziploc freezer bag. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or place the container/bag in the sink filled with warm water. Once thawed, heat in a large pot on medium heat until heated through. My favorite way to freeze soup is in a large freezer Ziploc bag. Once I fill the bag and seal it, I lay it flat in my freezer. It thaws much quicker this way.
This chili is perfect for those chilly fall and winter nights where you can curl up on the couch with a big bowl and turn on your favorite show. Your family will love it for a quiet weeknight dinner and it’s perfect for a crowd at your next game day party.
Everyone is going to love it. And don’t forget to serve it with a big piece of cornbread. . . it’s the best!
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- Total Time: 59 minute
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings 1x
- 1 (16 oz) jar salsa verde
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes, mild or original
- 2 (15 oz) cans Great Northern beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 to 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- grated cheese
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- tortilla strips
- Add the salsa verde, tomatoes, beans, chicken broth, onion, oregano, pepper, salt and cumin into your slow cooker.
- Lay the chicken breasts on top and gently push down into the mixture.
- Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 t hours or on high 3 to 4 hours or until chicken shreds easily.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred completely; return to chili in slow cooker and stir. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve with desired toppings.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 to 6 hours
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Allrecipes Magazine October/November 2021
Looks yummy! Is there a recipe to follow?
Oops, so sorry about that Lachelle, not sure what happened. The recipe is there now, thanks for letting me know.
Thanks so much! Threw it in the Indra pot for dinner. 🙂
Yay! Let me know how it turned out in the Instantpot.