This Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is loaded with so many good things. One of those dump and walk away slow cooker meals that will make dinner time so simple! It’s seriously amazing!
I always say that the only good thing about winter is warming up with delicious homemade soups. Well, so far we’ve had the most mild winter here in Utah with not many bone-chilling days that would call for soup. But as you can see from today’s recipe that hasn’t stopped me.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is seriously going to rock your world. It’s unbelievably good and so incredibly easy. It’s one of those dump and go slow cooker soups that will make your life so easy.
So good, so much flavor and pretty darn healthy too. . . well, except for the whipping cream. 😉
It’s simple, nothing complicated in it or about it. Here is what you’ll need. . .
- chicken breasts
- spices (onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin & salt)
- chicken broth
- diced fire roasted tomatoes
- black beans
- frozen corn
- enchilada sauce
- whipping cream
It takes about 5 minutes to throw everything in your slow cooker and then you walk away and let the magic happen.
My boys absolutely love this soup! Taylor is so fun to watch and listen to when he eats it because I’ll keep hearing comments like “oh my gosh this is so good” or “holy cow, why is this soup so good?”
Don’t forget to garnish it with the toppings, they make it even better. I highly recommend you swirling a big dollop of sour cream in it, even if you’re not a huge of the stuff. . . seriously takes it to next level good.
A FEW TIPS & THOUGHTS
- I use mild enchilada sauce when I make this, but if you want a bit more kick/heat, go ahead and use medium. Also, I thought about adding a can of green chilies, but after tasting it, I thought it was perfect and didn’t need them, but you certainly could add a can.
- If you don’t love black beans, then use pinto or kidney or even a combination.
- Try using pepper jack cheese, or mozzarella, Colby jack, Monterey jack, etc.
- Because some of my boys don’t like “chunks” of things in their food/soup, I put the tomatoes in my food processor and give them a few pulses. Also, make sure you use fire roasted tomatoes, they give this soup THE best flavor.
- This is just as good or even better the second day, so if you have any left, make sure you heat some up for yourself.
- Instead of tossing diced avocado on top, try swirling in some homemade guacamole . . . holy freak it’s good!
It might actually finally snow today, so maybe I’ll be making this soup again. I can guarantee I won’t have any complaints from anyone.Print
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Total Time: 6 hours
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings 1x
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (10 oz) red enchilada sauce (I use mild)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 1cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2/3 heavy whipping cream
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Grated cheese
- Tortilla Strips or crushed tortilla chips
- Combine onion powder, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, enchilada sauce, chicken broth, tomatoes, beans and corn. Stir until combined and then nestle the chicken breasts into the mixture.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 3 to 4 hours on high or 4 to 5 hours on low, or until chicken is cooked and shreds easily.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred. Return chicken to the slow cooker and stir in the grated cheese and heavy whipping cream. Stir until cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with desired toppings and drizzle with a squirt lime juice.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 3 to 6 hours
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Delish
This recipe is really good. I used mild enchilada sauce because the kids don’t like spicy. Everyone in the family raved about it, even the little ones.
So glad your kiddos loved this Linda! Thanks for leaving a comment. Happy holidays.