This Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie with Pie Crust Crackers is just as good as it sounds. Simple to make, comforting, and absolutely delicious! The Pie Crust Crackers are a must!
Am I right when I say chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food? What’s not to love about a buttery, flaky pie crust filled with shredded chicken, veggies and creamy sauce?
Well, today I’m sharing a slow cooker version of the classic homemade dish. This Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie with Pie Crust Crackers is absolutely amazing! It is simple to make and is truly ultimate comfort food.
To give you an idea of how fantastic this is, Parker had three bowls of this. And as he was inhaling it he said something like “Mom this stuff is so good and I don’t even like chicken pot pie!” So if you’re worried about your picky eaters liking this, don’t be. Parker didn’t even pick out the celery . . . that is huge!
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN POT PIE:
This really is so simple to make.
- First make the stew by putting the chicken, broth, carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, thyme, salt and the pepper in your slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on low 3 to 4 hours or until chicken is done and potatoes and carrots are tender. Remove chicken, shred and place back into slow cooker.
- In small bowl, beat cornstarch and water and whisk until smooth. Add to the slow cooker along with the whipping cream and stir to combine. Cover and continue cooking about 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in parsley.
- Make the pie crust crackers by mixing the melted butter, thyme and salt in a small bowl.
- Unroll pie crusts on 2 large ungreased cookie sheets and brush with seasoned butter. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired. With pizza cutter or knife, cut pie crust into 4×1-inch strips. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with pot pie.
Pretty dang easy don’t you think?
If you are looking for a simple, hearty, completely delicious meal, then look no further. You’re going to love this.
TIPS FOR MAKING SLOW COOKER CHICKEN POT PIE:
- You can peel the potatoes if you like, but I love leaving the skin on. Either way will be fine.
- Cutting the vegetables slightly larger than you normally would helps them not get too mushy before the chicken is done.
- If you like peas in your pot pie, you can add 1/2 cup frozen sweet peas just before stirring in the cornstarch mixture. You could also add in frozen corn instead of the peas.
- If you want your pie crust crackers cheesy, sprinkle about 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese on top of each crust after you brush them with butter and before cutting them into strips.
- Make sure you cut the pie crust into strips before you bake it. If you try and cut them into strips after they’ve baked, the strips will crumble and break easily and won’t cut into nice, clean strips. (Yes, I’m speaking from experience.)
- Use the crackers to dip in the pot pie and then crush some all over the top (yep, totally forgot to do that for the pictures –oops!)
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Tablespoon.com