This Slow Cooker Flank Steak is tender, flavorful and incredibly delicious. Seasoned with a delicious rub made of brown sugar, chili powder, ranch dressing mix, paprika and more. It’s going to become a family favorite.
I’ve kept it no secret about how much I love my slow cooker, especially for simple weeknight dinners. There’s nothing better than being able to quickly assembly a few ingredients into a slow cooker and then leaving them to cook all day.
Meet our newest slow cooker favorite. . . Slow Cooker Flank Steak.
This is the definition of absolute comfort food my friends.
When I came across this recipe I was a little skeptical about the combination of ingredients. . . ranch dressing mix, brown sugar and chili powder? I was like huh? But I tried it and it works and it’s absolutely amazing. My boys LOVE this and so do I!
This slow cooker flank steak is just another reason why I love my slow cooker! In about 10 minutes dinner can be in your slow cooker cooking away while you get busy doing more important things like making a batch of chocolate cookies.
One of the easiest dinners ever. Just a few simple steps. . .
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the brown sugar, chili powder, ranch mix, smoked paprika, salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Rub the spice rub into the steak to fully coat it. Place in your slow cooker and then drizzle it with some olive oil. Sprinkle the remaining spice rub all over the steak.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours or on LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
- Remove steak from the crockpot and use a sharp knife to slice it into strips against the grain, then serve as desired (or use two forks to shred it against the grain).
There are so many possibilities with this meat, I’ve listed some ideas below. Go crazy and get creative. In all honesty though, we’ve only eaten this over mashed potatoes. We’re hooked, but that doesn’t mean we won’t eventually branch out and try it other ways. Really and truly this stuff is so good, it can stand on its own.
Serve it with some steamed veggies and a salad and you will have one of the best, most comforting meals ever.
HOW TO SERVE SHREDDED FLANK STEAK:
- Serve it over mashed potatoes, rice, cauliflower rice.
- Pile it on a bun/roll/toasted bread and top with cheese for a delicious steak sandwich.
- Cook some peppers and onions in a skillet and make fajitas.
- Use it for tacos, quesadillas, burritos, enchiladas, or nachos.
Slow Cooker Flank Steak
- Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1x
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (1 oz) packet ranch seasoning mix (3 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pour the 1/3 cup water into the bottom of your slow cooker (5 to 6 quart size).
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the brown sugar, chili powder, ranch mix, paprika, salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Rub a couple tablespoons of the spice mixture onto both sides of the steak to fully coat it.
- Place the steak into the slow cooker and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle on remaining spice rub (yes, use all of it!).
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours or LOW for 7 to 8 hours, or until it shreds easily.
- Remove steak from the crockpot and use two forks to shred it against the grain. It will basically shred as you cut it. I like to then take my kitchen scissors and cut any long strips into smaller pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or rice; put on a bun for sandwiches; use for tacos or quesadillas.
- If you don’t have dark brown sugar, go ahead and use light. Dark brown sugar gives it a deeper color and a slightly deeper caramel taste. I do prefer it with dark, but have used light in a pinch.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Show Me The Yummy
Leave a Reply