- 1/3 cup water
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (1 oz) packet ranch seasoning mix (3 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pour the 1/3 cup water into the bottom of your slow cooker (5 to 6 quart size).
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the brown sugar, chili powder, ranch mix, paprika, salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Rub a couple tablespoons of the spice mixture onto both sides of the steak to fully coat it.
- Place the steak into the slow cooker and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle on remaining spice rub (yes, use all of it!).
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours or LOW for 7 to 8 hours, or until it shreds easily.
- Remove steak from the crockpot and use two forks to shred it against the grain. It will basically shred as you cut it. I like to then take my kitchen scissors and cut any long strips into smaller pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or rice; put on a bun for sandwiches; use for tacos or quesadillas.
- If you don’t have dark brown sugar, go ahead and use light. Dark brown sugar gives it a deeper color and a slightly deeper caramel taste. I do prefer it with dark, but have used light in a pinch.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours