This Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken cooks in a sweet and savory sauce and is absolutely delicious. Serve over rice with a side of veggies and you have the perfect meal.
We’re back from a relaxing, fun-filled, food-filled, fabulous week at the beach.
Just like every time we go, Seaside Donuts was our BFF the whole week and we all ate more donuts than we should have. I think the maple old fashioned donut is now my favorite. . . sorry cake donut with white frosting and sprinkles, you’ve been my go-to favorite for years, but I this trip the maple won my heart.
The weather was amazing and the water was perfect, not too cold and not too warm. It always blows my mind though at how stupidly fast the week goes. I swear we blinked and the week was over.
My boys laugh at me because I hate washing all the beach towels when we get home because then the beach smell is gone and I have to wait until next year to smell the beach.My son Zach got engaged a few weeks ago (I think I forgot to mention that) and his fiancé came with us. It was so fun to finally have a girl besides me on the trip. She’s adorable and we love her tons and are so excited to have her in our family.
We’ve all been heartbroken since losing our family cabin. Then seeing the pictures of the devastation that fire caused made the heartbreak even harder to bear, so this Newport 2018 was a much-needed vacation. It will definitely go down in the books as one of the best. The only thing missing was our son Taylor who is on his mission right now.
Anyway, let’s talk food now. My slow cooker has been getting a lot of use the last several weeks because it’s been so hot here. I’ve made this Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken several times now and it’s very quickly become one of our favorites.
I printed this recipe YEARS ago, and like most of the recipes I print, I tucked it away and forgot about it. I found it a few weeks ago shoved inside one of my recipe binders. The edges are torn and it’s pretty wrinkled up, but I’m so glad I still had it and am kicking myself for not making it sooner.This is truly one of the easiest slow cooker meals ever and it is absolutely fabulous. We inhaled it and even Parker, who complains that I don’t make “normal” food often enough (normal being a rotation of tacos and spaghetti), raved about this and even had seconds.
This is definitely a keeper!
TIPS FOR MAKING SLOW COOKER HONEY SESAME CHICKEN:
- Don’t cut your chicken pieces too small because they will dry out to easily. Also, try and keep your pieces as close to the same size as you can so they all cook evenly and are done at the same time.
- Sesame oil isn’t a must for this, but it is definitely my favorite oil to use. It has a nutty flavor and really enhances the flavor of this chicken. Don’t feel like you have to go buy some because canola or vegetable oil are just fine to use.
- I don’t recommend using frozen chicken in this because it will water down the sauce too much.
- I do recommend placing a large piece of oil or paper towels over the top of the slow cooker before putting the lid on, this keeps any extra moisture from dripping into the sauce, which will also water down the sauce.
- Watch this chicken closely because all slow cookers cook differently and you don’t want to over cook the chicken and make it dry. This chicken takes about 2 1/2 hours in my slow cooker.
- You can garnish this with green onions if you’d like, but it’s not necessary.
This Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken is a super flavorful, healthy version of a take-out classic! IT is one of the easiest meals you'll make and will become an instant favorite.
- 4 boneless, skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into chunks
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil vegetable*
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Sesame seeds
- Cooked rice
Spread chicken into the bottom of a slow cooker.
In a medium bowl, stir honey, soy sauce, ketchup, onion, oil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and cornstarch together in a bowl. Pour over the chicken and give a few stirs to coat all the pieces of chicken. Cook on Low until the chicken is tender 2 to 4 hours (or until chicken is cooked and tender)
Sprinkle sesame seeds over the chicken and sauce mixture and serve over cooked rice.
The sesame oil is my favorite to use in this because of the flavor, but if you don't have any feel free to use canola or vegetable oil.
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW IF YOU GIVE THIS A TRY! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK. SHARE IT ON INSTAGRAM USING THE HASHTAG #5BOYSBAKER SO I CAN SEE WHAT YOU’RE MAKING IN YOUR KITCHEN.
Recipe Source: I printed this off years ago and don’t remember where from.