- 1 1/2 lbs hot or mild Italian sausage
- 2 cans (4 1/2 oz each) chopped green chilies)
- 10–12 corn tortillas, (cut into 1-inch strips)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or any combination of cheese you’d like)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Cilantro
- In a large nonstick skillet cook sausage until done, drain any grease.
- In a greased slow cooker, spread one can of the green chilies on the bottom, then tortilla strips (enough to cover the bottom), 1/3 the sausage and then 1/3 of the cheese. The second layer will be tortilla strips, 1/3 of the sausage, 1/3 of the cheese. The final layer is the second can of green chilies, tortilla strips, remaining sausage and the remaining cheese.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together milk, eggs, cumin and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture in slow cooker. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, put insert in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Garnish with salsa, sour cream, cilantro, avocados, etc., if desired.
- I used sharp cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese, but feel free to use any combination you’d like. I think pepper jack cheese would rock in this casserole.
- Also, because I only had mild sausage and I wanted this to have a little bit of a kick, I added some red pepper flakes to the egg mixture, it’s completely optional.
- All slow cookers are different, so just keep an eye on it. You want to be able to stick a knife into it and have it come out clean.
- Cook Time: 420 minutes
- Category: Breakfast