12 Days of Sugar – Day 6
Slow Cooker Mexican Hot Cocoa is rich, chocolaty and sweet with a hint of spice! It will warm you from the inside out. It’s the one thing that makes snowy days more enjoyable!
Day 6 my 12 Days of Sugar is going to warm you right up. It just didn’t seem right to not include a hot chocolate recipe in this year’s line up. If you love hot chocolate as much as we do, then you are going to love this Slow Cooker Mexican Hot Chocolate.
This recipe is so simple. All you do is toss everything in a slow cooker and let it heat through. It’s made with chocolate chocolate chips instead of cocoa powder, spices like cinnamon and a hint of chili powder. The flavor is rich and delicious, just the way hot chocolate should be!
Who doesn’t love hot chocolate? Isn’t it what our childhood dreams were made of?
Growing up my mom made a homemade hot chocolate mix. I can still remember just how it tasted. Sadly, I asked my mom for that recipe about a year ago and she can’t find it! Gasp! I really wanted to make a batch to keep on hand, but I guess that’s not going to happen. l’m sure it’s somewhere in her gigantic, eclectic recipe collection. When we didn’t have her homemade mix, I’m sure we drank Swiss Miss. But now that I’m all grown up, I think I’ve become a hot chocolate snob and Swiss Miss just doesn’t cut it any more (lol).
This slow cooker Mexican hot chocolate is leagues above Swiss Miss and you’re going to love it.
It’s rich, decadent, creamy, sweet and the chocolate level is deep!
Here is what you will need:
- Half & Half. Adds richness and a creaminess
- Milk. I suggest using whole or 2%
- Semisweet chocolate chips. This is obviously what gives the deep, rich chocolate flavor of this hot chocolate.
- Sweet Condensed Milk: YUM! This adds sweetness and creaminess.
- Spices. ground cinnamon, and chili powder (optional but really good!) adds flavor without being too overwhelming.
- Vanilla extract. I love so use Mexican vanilla (I mean, why not?)
How to store any leftover.
- This can be stored in your fridge, covered for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stove top or in the microwave as needed. Be sure to give it a good stir before you measure out what you’re going to be reheating.
Can I make this on the stovetop?
- Yes, this can easily be made on your stovetop. Simply combine all the ingredients in a large pan and cook over mediu-low heat, stirring frequently, until the chocolate chips have melted completely and it’s creamy and hot.
If you want some more delicious hot chocolate recipes, then check out these:Print