These Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches make a great meal perfect for busy weeknights. Tender beef, onions, peppers and melted American cheese.
You all how much I love my slow cooker. Being able to throw a few ingredients into a slow cooker takes the stress out of dinner and that is always a win win!
These slow cooker Philly cheesesteak sandwiches are seriously fantastic! They start with a chuck roast which I love because the chances of me having a roast in my freezer far is highly more likely than me having a ribeye or sirloin steak in there.
Tender beef, onions, peppers and melted cheese all on a buttery toasted hoagie roll. . . these sandwiches are my definition of a killer dinner!
Maybe they technically shouldn’t be called “cheesesteak” sandwiches since they’re made using a chuck roast, but I’m going with it anyway.
Tips for the perfect slow cooker Philly cheesesteak sandwhich:
- Add bell peppers the last 45 minutes of cooking. If you add them earlier they will become soft and mushy.
- The liquid from cooking left behind is delicious, try dipping your sandwich in it.
- Lightly butter and toast your hoagie buns before adding the toppings. This adds flavor and a whole new level of the yum factor. It also helps the buns not become soggy so fast.
- I like to cut each square of cheese in half and then place it down the entire pile of meat.
- Try spreading a thin layer of mayonnaise on the bottom of your toasted bun, definitely delicious!
What kind of cheese is best?
This is definitely a personal preference here, but I do love using American cheese singles on these sandwiches. It melts so well and is creamy and gooey. Other great options would be provolone, pepper jack, Swiss, etc. Use whatever you love most! You could also use cheez whiz if that’s your thing.
Honestly, it doesn’t really matter what cheese you use, these are going to be absolutely scrumptious with any kind of cheese.
Let me assure you that I know these are not authentic Philly cheesesteaks, but they’re amazing and you’re going to love them!
Serve these with a simple green salad and a side of chips or fries and you’ve got an absolutely perfect, simple dinner!Print
Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- Total Time: 8 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings 1x
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2–1/2 to 3 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium to large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 8 hoagie buns, split and toasted
- 8 American cheese slices
- Place the roast in the bottom of a 3 to 4-quart slow cooker. Add the onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, basil and beef broth. Cook, covered, on low 7 to 8 hours, or on high for 5 to 6 hours, or until meat is tender and shreds easily.
- Add the sliced peppers in the last 45 of minutes of cooking time.
- Shred the meat with two forks, removing any pieces of fat.
- Butter hoagie rolls and brown in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Pile meat mixture on top of toasted rolls and then place a slice of cheese on top and put under the broiler until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Taste of Home
Leave a Reply