Packed with amazing flavor, these Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Nachos are you so good and incredibly simple to make. Perfect for an appetizer or a simple dinner.
I’ve mentioned many times before how much I absolutely love my slow cooker. I use it several times a week, all year long. It’s meals like these Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Nachos that remind me time and time again how lost I would be without it.
With my son’s wedding three weeks away, simple meals like this have definitely saved my bacon.
My boys absolutely LOVE these nachos. They’re fabulous on their own, but we love to drizzle homemade Cafe Rio dressing over these which obviously makes them even more amazing. (I might even eat liver if it had Cafe Rio dressing drizzled on top.)These nachos are seriously so, so good. Serve these with a green garden salad, fresh corn on the cob or fresh fruit and you have a delicious, easy peasy meal that I bet even your pickiest eaters will eat.
TIPS FOR MAKING SPICY CHICKEN NACHOS:
- You have a couple options with your chicken. You can place the chicken breasts whole into your slow cooker, and then remove them when they are cooked, shred them and place the shredded chicken back into your slow cooker and mix it in. I really prefer to cut the chicken breasts first because it ends up being a “prettier” presentation. It only takes a few minutes to dice it, but it’s your choice.
- If you put the chicken breasts in whole, you will probably need to adjust the cooking times. You’ll most likely need to cook it for the longer times listed.
- I don’t recommend using frozen chicken breasts, for this. You’ll end up with too much liquid which will water down the flavor of this chicken and make the mixture too wet.
- You don’t have to pour the mixture directly over the tortilla chips, you can just place it in a serving dish, sprinkle the desired toppings on top and then dig into it like you would a dip.
- Adjust the number of jalapeños according to how much heat you want these to have.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 to 3 medium jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese (or colby jack)
- 8 ounces grated pepper jack cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
Place chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker and sprinkle the onions and jalapenos on top. Spoon the black beans over the chicken.
In a medium bowl whisk together chili powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, brown sugar and chicken broth. Pour over the chicken.
Sprinkle both cheeses on top and cover. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or high 2 to 3 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.
Spread tortilla chips onto a cookie sheet or serving tray and then carefully scoop chicken mixture on top. Garnish with desired topping. Serve immediately.
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW IF YOU GIVE THIS A TRY! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK. SHARE IT ON INSTAGRAM USING THE HASHTAG #5BOYSBAKER SO I CAN SEE WHAT YOU’RE MAKING IN YOUR KITCHEN.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Mexican Slow Cooker Cookbook