This Slow Cooker Tamale Pie is hearty, filling and absolutely delicious. It’s the perfect weeknight dinner and will be loved by even your pickiest eaters.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 can (10 oz )Ro-tel
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15 oz) can chili beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups grated cheddar or colby jack cheese
- Green onions, sour cream, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, salsa, olives
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef, adding the onion and garlic. Drain the excess fat from the beef. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, egg and milk until smooth.
- Add the tomatoes and green chilies, corn, chili beans, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper, mix well. Add the cooked ground beef and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or high for 3 hours.
- The last 10 minutes of cooking time, sprinkle the cheese on top of the pie and cover.
- Let set for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with desired toppings.
- Category: Main Dishes