Incredibly delicious and simple this Slow Cooker Tortellini & Sausage Soup will become a favorite! Perfect for those chili winter nights.
Before we talk about this amazing Slow Cooker Tortellini and Sausage Soup, I’d like to tell you about our dog, Buddy. We love Buddy, even though he is a bit of a strange dog. We are buddy’s third owners. Before he was our dog, he was my brother Stephen’s and then my brother Christopher’s. How we ended up with him is a whole other story.
Buddy doesn’t like (actually he hates) to cuddle with or even sit next to anyone. If you try and put him on your lap he jumps off immediately. Some nights, he’s worse than an infant. He takes his dog bones/treat into the middle of the family room floor, paws at it, runs around it then puts it in his mouth and walks it to a “hiding place”, digs at the carpet like he’s digging a hole, puts the treat in “the hole” and then pushes at the carpet like he’s pushing dirt back over his treat. It is so entertaining and hilarious to watch. As strange as he is, we love him. . . . underbite and all.
The other day, Buddy topped all the dumb-dog moves he’s ever done before. I was shooting pictures of this sausage & tortellini soup and had things all set up ready to go. That day I had things set up on the floor, which I don’t do that often. Well I turned my back for a minute to get something and turned back around to find Buddy has stolen one of the rolls off of the plate and was sitting underneath our kitchen table eating it. I tried to grab it from him and he was not about to let me snatch that roll back. Thankfully I had one roll left. . . stupid, stupid dog! At least he knows what’s good.
I first had this soup over a year ago when my friend brought it to a party. I’ve made it so many times since and have never posted it because I’m pretty sure it’s made it way around Pinterest and the food blogging world many, many times. But it’s too good not to share just in case there are some of you out there who haven’t been lucky enough to taste this soup.Print
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 2 cans (15 oz) Italian style diced tomatoes
- 2 cans low-fat chicken broth
- 1 (8 oz.) cream cheese,
- 3 – 4 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 (19 oz.) bag frozen cheese tortellini
- Shredded Parmesan for garnish
- Brown the sausage in a skillet on the stove top until cooked and crumbled. Drain.
- Add the sausage, tomatoes, chicken broth and cream cheese to slow cooker.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook, on low for 4 – 5 hours, stirring a few times while it’s cooking.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add tortellini and spinach.
- Serve with shredded Parmesan.
- A lot of the recipes I saw for this had you add the tortellini and spinach at the beginning. I did that the very first time I made this soup and thought the tortellini and spinach were way too mushy. Definitely make sure you add it just about 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve this soup. Unless of course you’re big on mushy tortellini.
- Category: Soups/Chili