- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 pound 80% lean ground beef (or 85% extra lean is fine too)
- 4 slices of American cheese (I use Kraft singles)
- 1 burger bun, split
- Softened or melted butter
Toppings: (all optional)
- Combine salt, pepper, and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat cast-iron griddle pan, cast-iron skillet, or electric griddle over high heat just until smoking.
- Divide meat into 4 mounds (4 oz each). Don’t shape the meat into a ball or patty. Generously season the meat on all sides with the seasoning mix.
- Place the meat onto the griddle, press with the back of a spatula for 10 seconds (you can use a second spatula for even more leverage). Cook the meat patty about 2½ minutes on the first side. Flip patty then top with cheese and cook just until cheese begins to melt, about 1 1/2 more minutes.
- For the bun, spread buns with butter and toast buns directly on a griddle, or in a skillet, until golden brown, about 10–15 seconds. Serve burgers (single or double) on bun with desired toppings.
- You WILL NOT use all of the seasoning mix on the four burgers this recipe makes. Store the remaining seasoning in an airtight container to use next time you make these burgers.
- Category: Sandwiches/Burgers/Wraps