This Sour Cream Coffee Cake is a buttery, tender, yellow cake that’s loaded with thick layers of cinnamon streusel. Topped off with a vanilla glaze, it’s the perfect cake for a breakfast or brunch or even as a dessert to finish off a delicious meal.
We are back from Disneyland and we’re all wishing we were still there. We had an absolute blast and are ready to hop back on a plane and go again. Our first two days there were awesome! Low crowds, short wait times and fairly decent weather. The last two days were still pretty dang good considering it was a holiday weekend and the weekend that the new Star Wars ride opened up.
You guys that ride is unbelievable! We lucked out and got into boarding groups both days we tried. My boys are huge Star Wars fans and it was so fun to watch their excitement about it. . . they literally couldn’t contain themselves. We all loved it and still can’t even get over how freaking awesome it is. You have to go do Disneyland and ride it. Even if you’re not a Star Wars fan, you will love it!
We ate way too much food and I am already looking for copy cat recipes for my new favorite treat there. Fingers crossed I can recreate it.
Let’s talk streusel now. Am I the only one who is obsessed with crumbly streusel?
I don’t know what it is about buttery, crumbly streusel, but I think it’s one of the most delicious things piled on top of desserts.
This Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel is loaded with streusel and is insanely good! It’s buttery and rich, but not greasy and heavy, and is loaded with layers of cinnamons streusel.
Just like you eat a sugar cookie for the frosting, you eat coffee cake for the streusel. Am I right? I don’t want a “yellow cake” with a little streusel on top. I want a little cake with my streusel . . .big fat chunks of buttery, cinnamony streusel!
Make sure you follow the instructions because they’re a little different than most cake recipes. Rather than creaming the butter and sugar, you cut softened butter and some of the sour cream into the dry ingredients. Then you add the eggs and the rest of the sour cream. This results in a tighter, but still tender cake.
HOW TO MAKE SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE WITH CINNAMON STREUSEL:
- To make the streusel, combine the sugars, cinnamon, salt, and melted butter and flour until mixture looks like wet sand with big and small chunks.
- In a bowl combine the eggs, 1 cup of the sour cream and the vanilla.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt on low speed for about 30 seconds. Add the butter and the remaining sour cream and mix on low until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase the speed to medium and mix until batter comes together. Slowly add the egg and sour cream mixture.
- Spread 2 cups of batter into the bottom of your prepared pan. Sprinkle about 1 1/4 cups of streusel evenly over the top. Spread another 2 cups of the batter on top and spread it around as best you can. Sprinkle with another 1/14 cups of the streusel.
- Spread the remaining batter on top as evenly as you can and finish off with the remaining streusel
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until the cake feels firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool on a wire rack for about 10-12 minutes before drizzling with icing.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Cook’s Illustrated Baking Book