- 1 9-inch pie crust, baked and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, sweetened and whipped
- In a large heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in milk and lemon juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low and cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Add this mixture back into the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil and cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and lemon zest. Cool without stirring.
- When lemon mixture is cool, fold in the sour cream and pour filling into baked pie crust.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream. Store in the refrigerator.
- This pie needs to refrigerate for several hours, so make sure you plan ahead and give this enough time to chill in the fridge. I like to make the filling the night before and then the day I need it, I make the pie crust, let it cool and then fold the sour cream into the lemon filling and pour it into the cooled pie shell. I then refrigerate it for several hours before serving it.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American