- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder regular or dark
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (125 grams) unfed sourdough starter discard
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (185 g) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 16 muffin tin cups with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set the bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the sourdough starter, oil, sugar, eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract and milk. Mix until the ingredients come together and are smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix the batter until it just comes together. Do not over mix the batter. Add the chocolate chips and stir until just combined and evenly mixed.
- Use an ice cream scooper to fill the liners to the top of the liner. If you want, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each muffin before baking.
- Bake the muffins for the first 5 minutes at 425°F in the preheated oven, then lower the oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking the muffins for an additional 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs or clean.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins