These Spiced Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies . . .the classic oatmeal chocolate chip cookie taken up just a notch with chunks of chocolate and a hint of spice. They’re absolutely scrumptious!
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 3/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped chocolate (dark or milk – I use both)
- Sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat butter and sugars at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, scrape bowl as needed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and mix.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, kosher salt, cardamom, cloves, and nutmeg.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined, about 1 minute. (Some dry floury pockets may remain in dough.) Using a large wooden spoon, gently fold in oats and chocolate. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls and roll into balls. Place 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking, raising pans a few inches above oven rack, and tapping pans firmly against rack to slightly deflate, spread, and help disperse melted chocolate into cookies. Repeat procedure every 2 minutes (after rotating the pans) until cookies are just golden brown, firm around the edges and slightly soft in center, and have molten pockets of chocolate running throughout them.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle cookies with flaked sea salt (if using). Let cookies cool on pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes (includes 30 min. chill time)
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Cookies