- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 3 cans (10-oz) Ro-Tel tomatoes (original or mild)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (16 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Cook ground beef over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven about 5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook another 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and chipotle and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the macaroni, tomatoes, broth, and beans to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with cheese and replace lid for a few minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- If you don’t want this to be super-spicy, then I suggest using the mild Ro-Tel tomatoes or a combination of mild and original. You could even use only one or two cans of Ro-tel and then a can of just regular diced tomatoes.
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes