Every Sunday night during the month of December we watch a Christmas movie or two. As I’m writing this post we are watching Elf, one of my all-time favorite Christmas movies. Will Ferrell is hilarious in this show. One of our favorite scenes is when Buddy the Elf is trying to get on the escalator. Oh my heck, we laugh every time we watch it and anytime we ride an escalator, my boys mimic Buddy trying to get on it. It’s got so any great one-liners too! If you haven’t seen Elf, you need to watch it. It It’s one of the funniest, best Christmas movies ever!!
I don’t know about you, but after 12 straight days of sugar posts, I could use something a little more on the healthy side. I think I’m still in a sugar coma, but I’m slowly coming out of it.
This soup is fabulous. I love the smoky flavor the chipotle chiles give it and then topped off with sour cream (a must!), cheese and avocados its so delicious. I also love that it’s made in the slow cooker, easy peasy!
Healthy, delicious and so easy to throw together . . .definitely my kind of meal.Print
Don’t let the name scare you. This isn’t super spicy, it’s just got a slight, slight kick with a yummy smoky flavor.
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 tsp. minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14 oz) cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 to matoes (, cored and chopped)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream
- Monterey Jack cheese (, shredded)
- Microwave onions, chipotle, garlic, tomato paste and oil in bowl, stirring occasionally until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker. Stir in broth and chickpeas. Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 3 to 4 hours on low.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board, let cook slightly then shred into bite-size pieces.
- Stir in shredded chicken and tomatoes and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with sour cream, Monterey jack cheese and avocado.
Recipe Source: America’s Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution