- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb cooked, smoked sausage, sliced into 1/4″ pieces
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 oz) Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles (mild or regular)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz penne pasta (or any tube shaped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions (optional)
- Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add the sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil and cover the skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes (stir it occasionally).
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese. If there is still a lot of liquid, let pasta simmer for a few more minutes, to absorb some of the liquid. Top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions (if using). Broil until cheese is melted, spotty brown, and bubbly. Serve and enjoy!
- Any tubular shaped pasta works great. . . penne, rigatonni, ziti, cellentani, etc.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Pasta