In honor of Pi day last week, I made a pie. . . . A strawberry cream pie with an Oreo crust to be exact, and it was delicious. Possibly one of the best strawberry pies I’ve ever eaten. We were invited to a “Pi(e)” party over the weekend and this is what I took. I put a picture of it on Instagram and over the weekend, so for those that asked for the recipe, here it is.
It’s really simple to make, it just has to chill for several hours so make sure you plan accordingly. I loved the Oreo crust with it, the chocolate & strawberry combination was fantastic. I did try a bite with a few raspberries on it and it was pretty dang delicious too. So pick your berry of choice or go ahead and put both on them, you can’t go wrong either way.
If only you could stick your fork through your computer screen and take a bite. . . you would be in strawberry cream pie heaven!Print
An oreo crust filled with a delicious cream filling and topped with fresh strawberries . . .so incredibly delicious!
- CREAM FILLING:
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1 quart strawberries
- 3 Tbsp. seedless raspberry jam
- 20 whole Oreo cookies
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter
- In a medium-size saucepan, whisk together cornstarch, flour, salt and sugar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together half-and-half, egg yolks and vanilla. Add to cornstarch mixture, whisking constantly.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly Continue to cook for 2 -3 minutes, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of mixture and chill for at least 4 and up to 24 hours.
- In a medium-sized bowl or a food processor, add the Oreo cookies and blend until the texture of coarse meal or crumbs. Add the melted butter and blend until well combine.
- Place the ground crumb mixture into a lightly sprayed 9–inch pie pan and press onto the bottom and up the sides evenly. Chill in fridge until ready to use.
- Pour chilled cream mixture into Oreo crust.
- Cut 8 to 10 strawberries in half and arrange around the outer edge of the pie. Slice remaining strawberries and arrange in the center of the pie.
- Microwave raspberry jam for 15 seconds, stir and using a pastry brush, brush jelly over strawberries. Chill for at least an hour before serving.
- Store in refrigerator.
Recipe Source: adapted from a Southern Living Magazine
I linked up at Buns In My Oven