These Sugar Cookie Bars are the deliciousness of sugar cookies without all the rolling, cutting, and decorating. They’re tender, chewy and covered with a sour cream/buttercream frosting!
These sugar cookie bars are pretty dang amazing. They are the deliciousness of sugar cookies in bar form, which is truly brilliant because rolling and cutting sugar cookies is sometimes just a pain in the butt. But these, well, they aren’t a pain in the butt, in fact they are super simple to make. The great thing about these sugar cookie bars is the recipe makes an entire cookie sheet, so they are perfect to take to a potluck or a big family gathering or party, etc.I took these to these to my cute friend and she sent me a video of her 4-year old daughter telling me “Jodi, you make the best cookies ever” and her cute almost 2-year boy saying “thank you.” Totally made my day.
I’m definitely a frosting girl so that is my favorite part of these cookies, in fact I wouldn’t have minded the frosting to be even a little thicker, you can never have too much frosting in my world. If you’re not a frosting lover, feel free to cut down on the frosting. You can always make the whole batch and whatever you don’t use on the cookies, you could slap some on a few graham crackers (love graham crackers with frosting, especially after they’ve chilled in the fridge for a while).If you haven’t ever done it, you should definitely try it. When were were kids, if my mom didn’t have any kind of cookie or treat for our lunches, she would whip up a batch of frosting and throw it on some graham crackers and put them in our lunches. Ahhh, great childhood memory.
Recipe Source: 5 Boys BakerPrint
Yummy sugar cookies in bar form topped with a delicious sour cream frosting . . .so simple to make.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Sour Cream Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- Half-n-half or milk (if needed to get to desired consistency)
- Food coloring, optional
- Sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, almond extract (if using) and sour cream. Mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Press into a greased 9×13 pan.
- Bake for 14 to 17 min or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. (Do not over bake!). Cool completely before frosting.
- Cream together butter and sour cream, vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar. and mix until smooth. (Add half-n-half or milk if needed to get your frosting to the desired consistency. I like mine on the thick side so I usually don’t add any half & half). Add food coloring, if using. Spread evenly over cooled sugar cookie bars and sprinkle with sprinkles, if desired
UPDATED 10/20/2018 – I used to make these in a large cookie sheet, but after making them several times and deciding I don’t usually need that many cookies, I’ve adjusted the recipe to make them in a 9×13 pan. If you need a larger batch, you can always double it and divide it among two 9×13 pans or use a large cookie sheet (17×12 or 18×13).
- Category: Dessert/Bars
- Cuisine: American