These Swedish meatballs are smothered in a delicious, rich, and creamy gravy sauce and have such an amazing flavor. These will become a family favorite.
I can’t even believe that today is Halloween. How in the heck did it get to be October 31st? Halloween just isn’t the same around our house anymore. I’m down to only one child dressing up and going out trick-or-treating. I really miss the days when all five of my boys were little and dressed up in costumes. Somedays I really wish I could turn the clock back. What about you?
Now tonight since it’s Halloween, we will either be eating chili or sloppy joes, but I’d be ok if we were eating these Swedish Meatballs instead. This is another one of the delicious recipes I got from my mother-in-law years ago when I got married. I’d honestly never had or even heard of Swedish Meatballs before. I can still remember the first time I tasted them. I loved them.I know IKEA is known for their Swedish meatballs, but I’ve never tasted them so I can’t tell you if these taste better than theirs, but I can tell you that these are amazing! The meatballs themselves are so good, but it’s really all about the sauce here . . . the heavenly, rich, creamy gravy sauce that these meatballs are smothered in is amazing. I could drink it.
These are so simple to make and I know you will love them.
P.S. These meatballs go great with mashed potatoes.Print
IThe original recipe calls for dill in the meatballs and the sauce. I leave it out because while I like it, my husband prefers them without the dill. If you want to try them with the dill, just add 1/4 teaspoon to the meatball mixture and 1/4 teaspoon to the gravy.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 lb. ground pork sausage
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs (, beaten)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 cardamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can beef broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent about 2-3 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix the sauteed onion, ground beef, ground sausage, bread crumbs, eggs, milk, salt, allspice, nutmeg, and cardamon. Using a wooden spoon stir until well combined. Roll the mixture into balls (about 1 1/2″, makes about 24 meatballs).
- In the skillet you cooked the onions in, add the meatballs in batches, and cook until all sides are browned, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In the same skillet, melt the 2 tablespoons butter with the drippings and brown bits. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in beef broth and half-and-half and continue whisking until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Add meatballs and gently toss until all the meatballs are coated.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Category: Main Dishes