This Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken is truly amazing! It’s been a family favorite for years and is better than any takeout. It’s so simple to make!
- 3 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cornstarch
- canola or vegetable oil (about 3 to 4 tablespoons)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Put beaten egg into a pie plate or shallow dish. Pour cornstarch into another pie plate or shallow dish.
- Dip each piece of chicken into beaten egg and then into the cornstarch, covering entire piece of chicken.
- Pour enough oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet. Heat the oil over medium heat until very hot.
- Place the coated chicken pieces into the hot oil, in a single layer. Cook for 20-30 seconds, on each side until the crust is golden (the chicken will not be cooked all the way through). Place the chicken pieces in a single layer in a 9X13-inch baking dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- In small saucepan mix all the sauce ingredients. Stir and heat through until sugar is dissolved. Pour over browned chicken.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 60 minutes, turning chicken pieces once during the baking time.
- I usually one and a half the sauce recipe because we like a lot of sauce. I usually pour all of it over the chicken and then we just scoop it out of the pan and drizzle it over our plates of chicken. Another option would be to pour about 2/3 of it over the chicken and save the remaining sauce to use for drizzling.
- We love to drizzle the sauce over our family favorite rice that I make every time I serve this chicken.
- You can also use white vinegar or even rice vinegar if you don’t have apple cider vinegar.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Chinese