This Slow Cooker Sweet and Smoky BBQ Chicken Chili is so good and incredibly simple to make. You are going fall in love with this chili.
It’s November which usually in Utah means cold temps and most likely snow. Well, we have no snow and it’s still in the mid to upper 60s. I’m not complaining, I am loving this weather, but soups and chilis are my favorite things to make this time of year, and eating a bowl of soup or chili for dinner when it’s 65 degrees outside just isn’t quite as warm and comforting. Clearly I’m not letting that bother me though.
I have been so excited to share this recipe with you. This Slow Cooker Sweet & Smoky BBQ Chicken Chili completely blew us all away the other night. We ate every last drop. Braydon informed me he could eat it every night and not get sick of it. Now coming from Braydon you have no idea how HUGE that is because he is so, so picky! I have to completely agree with him, I too could eat this every night.
I actually made it two nights in a row because I didn’t get any photos the first night. I didn’t have a single complaint when my boys sat down to eat it a second night in a row.
This is one of the easiest slow cooker recipes you’ll ever make, There’s no browning or sautéing before hand. It’s just one of those dump and walk away recipes. The smoky flavor paired with the sweet it spot on. The flavor is out of this world. It’s a nice change from your traditional ground beef chili and/or white chicken chili. Make sure you use smoked paprika, and if you’re not familiar with liquid smoke it’s usually found down the condiments aisle next to the BBQ sauces. It’s really inexpensive and is definitely a star ingredient in this chili.
Please just promise me you’ll try this. You will be so happy you did.Print
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cans (16 oz) cannellini beans undrained
- 1 can (16 oz) kidney beans undrained
- 1 can pinto beans undrained
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can chicken broth 14.5 oz. can (, mixed with 1 tablespoon cornstarch)
- Hot sauce or Sriracha to taste ((I just do about 5-6 dashes))
- Grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips/strips
- Tortilla chips
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker drizzle with olive oil.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir around chicken.
- Cook on low 5-6 hours or on high 3-4 hours. When chicken is tender, remove to a plate and shred, return to slow cooker. Cook an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Add add hot sauce and serve. Garnish with cheese, cilantro, sour cream, and chips.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Carlsbad Cravings