This Teriyaki Chicken Casserole is crazy delicious! Loaded with tender chicken, veggies and rice and a delicious homemade teriyaki sauce. It’s going to become a favorite.
My list of bookmarked recipes is getting longer and longer. The problem with that is I forget what I’ve bookmarked, and because I’m constantly drooling and salivating over what I bookmarked today , yesterday or even last week, I forget about those I bookmarked way back when. . .
This Teriyaki Chicken Casserole happens to be one of those “way back when” recipes that I finally got around to making just last week.
Now I’ve got to be honest, I had no intentions of posting this right away because I wanted to give it a test run with my boys. Then if they liked it, I figured I’d make it again, take some pictures and then share it. Well that plan changed after I took one bite and new it was a winner and knew my boys would agree. So I very quickly snapped a few shots (albeit fairly bad ones, which is why there is only one, plus I forgot to drizzle the extra sauce before I took my pics) while my boys sat there patiently waiting to have some. They inhaled it.
I love simple, delicious dinners like this. This definitely falls on the healthier side of things, with the brown rice, veggies, and chicken which is an added bonus, especially if you’re still sticking to the new year’s resolution to eat healthier. This meal comes together in no time and is so delicious.
Give this one a try, you’ll love it.Print
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- Teriyaki Sauce:
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 small garlic clove (, minced fine)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the soy sauce, water, brown sugar, honey, ground ginger, sesame oil, and garlic. bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, stir together the corn starch and 2 tablespoons of water. Whisk into teriyaki sauce and continue cooking and whisking until the sauce thickens, remove from heat.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish (I used a deep 9×9 dish) and pour 1 cup of the teriyaki sauce over the chicken. Bake for 30-35 minutes, at 350 degrees, remove from the oven and shred. Return the shredded chicken to the pan.
- Steam the veggies and then add the veggies, and rice to the dish with the chicken. Add 3-4 more tablespoons of the leftover teriyaki sauce and stir to combine. Place the dish back in the oven for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and drizzle with a little more sauce.
The recipe called for a small package of stir fry vegetables including broccoli, sprouts, carrots and snow peas. I chose to steam some broccoli florets and carrots, but feel free to use any veggies you’d like.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Oh Sweet Basil