This Thai Chicken & Rice Skillet w/ Peanut Sauce is a simple, delicious, one-pan meal done in about 30 minutes. Loaded with chicken, rice, peppers, carrots, just to name a few things. Then topped with a delicious peanut sauce. So, so good!
You should all know by now how much I love skillet meals. I’ve professed my love for them many, many times. They’re simple to make, are super versatile and always so delicious.
This Thai Chicken & Rice Skillet with Peanut Sauce was a hit at our house. To be honest, I wasn’t sure how it would go over with my boys that are still at home. Turns out I worried for no reason because they loved it, especially Taylor. He declared it five times blog worthy and inhaled it in about 53 seconds.
This is so fast and easy to throw together. It’s hearty and filling and the perfect quick and simple weeknight meal.
Serve it with some fresh fruit and/or a green salad and you have a fantastic meal.
CAN I USE CHICKEN THIGHS INSTEAD OF BREASTS?
I haven’t tried this with chicken thighs because I’m not a huge fan of them, but I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts in this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE THAI CHICKEN & RICE SKILLET . . .
- Sauté the chicken in a skillet with sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Next, add the carrots, cabbage, red bell pepper, rice, soy sauce and lime juice. Simmer for 15 to 18 minutes or until rice is tender and all the water has absorbed.
- Add the spinach and more soy sauce. Drizzle with homemade peanut sauce and chopped honey roasted peanuts and enjoy!
OTHER SKILLET MEALS YOU WILL LOVE. . .
- 3 chicken breasts (about 2 lbs), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage(*see note)
- 1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- Chopped honey roasted peanuts (for garnish)
- Sriracha (*optional)
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 4 to 5 tablespoons hot water (or more if you want it thinner)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add one tablespoon soy sauce and chicken to pan and cook until no longer pink and begins to turn golden brown on some pieces. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute or two.
- Add rice, water, lime juice, carrots, cabbage and bell pepper to the skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Cook for 15 to 18 minutes or until the rice is tender and water has absorbed.
- Add spinach and remaining 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, stir and cook for an addition three to five minuted. Season with salt and pepper and more soy sauce to taste if desired.
- Drizzle with peanut sauce and chopped honey roasted peanuts. Drizzle with some sriracha if you want a little kick. (seriously so good!)
- In a small bowl add the peanut butter, brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce garlic, sriracha and hot water in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- If you love peanut sauce like I do, you might want to double the recipe. You’ll most likely have some left, but just store it in the fridge and use it for other things.
- I like to use a prepackaged coleslaw mix, super easy to and then I don’t have to cut my own cabbage.
- Category: Main Dishes
Recipe Source: Skillet meal adapted slightly from Spoonful of Flavor, peanut sauce from 5 Boys Baker.