- 1 medium butternut squash (about 1 1/2 cups cooked squash)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 can (14.5 ounces) Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Few dashes hot sauce(optional)
- Salt & freshly group pepper to taste
- Cut the squash in half, lengthwise, so you have two long pieces. Scoop out the seeds and pulp from each half. Place both sides cut-side down in a 9X13-inch pan. Add enough water to come about 1/4-inch up the sides of the squash. Cover with wax paper and cook in microwave for 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is tender when pierced with the fork in several places. If the flesh doesn’t easily give to the pressure of the fork, continue cooking in five minute increments, Remove the pan from the microwave transfer the squash to a large cutting board or plate. Let it cool about 15 minutes before scooping out the flesh.
- Scoop squash into the blender.
- While the squash is cooking, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion until soft and translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Scoop the onion/garlic mixture into the blender with the squash.
- Add the canned tomatoes (undrained) to the blender. Process until the mixture is smooth – if the mixture is too thick to blend well, you can add the chicken broth/stock into the blender.
- Pour the blended mixture back into the saucepan and add the chicken broth (if you didn’t already add it to the blender), salt, sugar, basil and half-and-half. Stir to combine well. Heat over medium-low heat until the soup is warm (but don’t let it boil).
- Season with salt, pepper and add hot sauce to taste, if desired.
You can also cook the squash in the oven. Follow the same directions but cover it with foil and cook it for one hour at 350°. Check with a fork and if it’s not tender, continue cooking in 10 minute increments.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American