This Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet dinner is packed with ground turkey, black beans, quinoa, fire roasted tomatoes, corn, and Mexican spices. It’s delicious, healthy and cooked in one skillet!
It’s January which means most of us have or will set a goal to eat healthier. I’m right, aren’t I? After weeks of mass volumes of sugar consumption, I think my body was screaming for something a little healthier. This Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet is the perfect meal if you’re wanting something healthy, simple and incredibly flavorful. Skillet meals are one of my favorites things to make and this skillet dinner just reminded me again of why I love them so much. It’s super simple and super delicious. When I make something that Braydon (my finickiest eater) likes, then I feel like I’ve won the lottery. I did put the tomatoes in my blender because chunks of anything and Braydon don’t get along.
I love everything about this skillet dinner. The black beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, quinoa, all the spices, and the melted cheese on top. . . you guys, this is sooo good! We absolutely loved this and ate every last bite which made me kind of sad because I couldn’t have it for lunch the next day.
If you’re looking for something quick and crazy delicious, then I’ve got your back today.
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 can15 oz) black beans, drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup jarred salsa
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey or Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cilantro for garnish
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Toss in the diced onion and cook for about 2 minutes until it starts to soften.
- Add the ground turkey or chicken and minced garlic and cook until the meat just cooked through, stirring occasionally. Add the can of dice green chilis, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir until the spices are mixed in well.
- Add in the black beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, salsa and quinoa, stirring until everything is combined. Stir in the water and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cover the skilled with a lid. Simmer for about 25-30 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and cover with the lid until the cheese is melted.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Spoonful of Flavor