- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup jarred salsa
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey or Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cilantro for garnish
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Toss in the diced onion and cook for about 2 minutes until it starts to soften.
- Add the ground turkey or chicken and minced garlic and cook until the meat just cooked through, stirring occasionally. Add the can of dice green chilis, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir until the spices are mixed in well.
- Add in the black beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, salsa and quinoa, stirring until everything is combined. Stir in the water and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cover the skilled with a lid. Simmer for about 25-30 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and cover with the lid until the cheese is melted.
- This is so good with chopped avocado and sour cream on top! I just forgot to put it on for the pictures.
- I’ve also made this with both ground turkey and with chicken and it is equally delicious with either one.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes