It’s Monday and my boys are back in school . . . .I’m a little sad about it, and a little happy (ok, a lot happy).
I love my boys dearly, but now that they are back in school I can clean my house and have it actually stay clean for more than 5 minutes. Ok, so they’re not really that bad, but they have this unique ability to never throw wrappers away, put dishes in the dishwasher, dirty clothes in the laundry, etc. They could walk past their dirty socks 685 times without picking them up and putting them where they belong. Don’t get me wrong, they get up in the mornings and check their chore list and get those chores done, but above and beyond that, well, let’s just say a mom can dream can’t she?
I bookmarked this recipe over a year ago and I’m finally getting around to making them. I can’t believe it took me so long because these were amazing. If you need a something quick, simple and absolutely delicious, then make these. Again, they have one of my favorite ingredients. . . betcha can’t guess what that is. Sweetened condensed milk of course. My supply is actually running a little low believe it or not. I really need to replenish because it would be a huge catastrophe to run completely out.Print
White and Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake Bars
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 box devil’s food cake chocolate cake mix ((or your favorite boxed chocolate cake mix))
- 1/2 cup butter (, softened)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 can ((14-ounces) sweetened condensed milk)
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cream cheese, softened (can use whipped cream cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- NOTE: As I was getting this post ready and typing the recipe, I realized that I used a full 8 ounces of cream cheese instead of just 4 ounces like the recipe calls for. They turned out amazing, so feel free to use 8 ounces if you’d like, they will be fabulous!
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a 9-by-13 inch pan by lining it with aluminum foil and then spraying it with cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, butter, egg, vanilla. Mix until well combined. The batter will be extremely thick. Press the dough it into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the white and dark chocolate chips evenly over the top.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk and cream cheese, stir until well combined, and pour mixture evenly over dough, using a spatula to gently spread and even it if necessary. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until edges of bars begin to barely brown and pull away slightly from the sides of the pan, or until the middle has barely set, be careful not to overbake. The middle will not seem very well set and will be jiggly upon removing from oven and that is okay, you want to keep these gooey. They will continue to set up more after they have cooled. Allow bars to cool completely before slicing and serving. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for up to three months.
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Brownies & Bars
Recipe Source: Averie Cooks (love her blog!)
Averie @ Averie Cooks says
Thanks for trying my bars, 8 oz of cream cheese and all!
Ironically, I have a cheesecake bar recipe to be posted this week. My first one in over a year, since when I made these bars. I too was overdue! Come check my Tuesday post. They’ll be up!
Thanks Averie for the yummy recipe. I can’t wait to see and try your new recipe. I Love your blog and I just ordered your cookbook on Amazon, I can’t wait to get it.
Very delicious! Easy to make too! Very happy! A keeper!!
Hi Linda! I’m so glad you liked these. I haven’t made these for so long, I forgot how good they are. Thanks for the reminder about them. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.