These Zesty Lime Chicken Tacos are totally the bomb! Made in your Instant Pot or Slow Cooker, they are the perfect, simple, incredibly delicious meal for any night of the week.
Parker especially LOVES taco!
He’s funny though because he sometimes gets a little annoyed when I make tacos that aren’t “normal tacos” as he calls them (aka ground beef tacos with hard shells).
I tell him all the time he needs to expand his horizons. He’s such a creature of habit!
You guys, this chicken is so, so good. And like most things made in an Instant Pot or slow cooker, it’s so dang easy to make.
It’s one of those dump and go recipes.
No browning, no need to saute, no prep work needed.. . totally easy peasy which is my kind of meal.
This chicken is so tender and the flavor is amazing.
And guess what?
Parker loved these and they’re not even “normal tacos!”
Every time I have made this I’ve done it in my Instant Pot, but because I know not everyone has an Instant Pot, I’ve included directions for slow cooker, so you choose.
You’ll love these!
A FEW TIPS/NOTES FOR MAKING THIS CHICKEN:
- Remember, when you see “15 minutes” for the cook time using the Instant Pot, it does take time for the pot to come up to pressure before the cooking time begins. So just don’t think you can throw this in your Instant Pot and have it be done it just 15 minutes. By the time it comes to pressure, cooks for the 15 minutes and then does a natural release for 10 minutes, it really ends up being about 35 minutes before this chicken is done.
- My favorite salsa verde is from Trader Joes, but you can use any brand.
- Using a whole jalapeño in this does not give it too much heat, but if you’re worried you can always start with half the jalapeño and after it’s cooked and shredded, you can always stir in more chopped jalapeño if you want.
- You can add the juice of a second lime if you want the lime flavor to be stronger, but I think the juice of one lime is just perfect.
- 5 frozen chicken breasts
- 1 cup Kraft Zesty Lime Dressing (1/2 the 16 oz bottle)
- 1 cup Salsa Verde (I love Trader Joe’s)
- 1 large jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 can of diced chilis
- Juice of 1 lime
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Diced avocado
- Sour cream
- Cotija cheese or grated cheese of your choice
INSTANT POT DIRECTIONS:
- Place frozen chicken breasts in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the dressing, salsa verde, jalapeño and diced chilies. Secure lid and cook on Manual high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, let the Instant Pot do a natural release for 10 minutes. Remove chicken and shred then return to Instant Pot with all the juices. Add juice of one lime and stir.
- Serve on tacos shells with desired toppings.
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS:
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cooker on low 4 to 5 hours, or until chicken shreds easily.
If you want a little more kick, you can leave the seeds and membranes in the jalapéno when you chop it or add a second one.
You can use this chicken for enchiladas, burritos, quesadillas, salads or anything you want. It’s so, so good!
Pepper jack cheese would be delicious on these!
My Instant Pot does not have the nonstick pot, so I like to spray mine first with cooking spray before I put the ingredients in, just to make sure nothing sticks.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mexican
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Liv and Hope
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, PLEASE COMMENT BELOW! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK.
HERE ARE SOME MORE OF MY FAVORITE INSTANT POT & SLOW COOKER RECIPES: